Pages

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Passing a Stranger

She's coming down the hallway. Do I say hi? Too far away, thankfully.

Our eyes lock.

Crap. She knows I saw her. At the end of the hallway I can still ignore her. There's a hallway just to her left; please turn please turn, please turn.

She doesn't.

Maybe someone else will come that knows her. Is she walking faster? Now she's too close to ignore.
I must do something; head nod? "hey"? "My name is..."? handshake? Maybe she'll initiate.

She doesn't.

Instead she suddenly becomes interested in the blank wall to her right.

Clever.

Instantly I become an expert on blank walls, analyzing the wall to my right. She's obviously too busy to say hello, I'm obviously too busy to say hello, concentrated as we are, on parallel walls, passing without a hint of recognition.

Awkward escaped, intro avoided, as I walk down the hallway.

No comments:

Post a Comment